Once upon a time...


...there was a boy.

Have you heard the story of the Dr. and I meeting? I have to admit, it's a bit cheesy with us meeting on Valentine's Day and all but it wasn't on purpose! We aren't that cheesy.

Let's face it, when you're in college you're either all about V-day when you're with someone or you're all about singles-awareness-day if you're, well, single.

Step back to 2008. The roomie and I were seniors in college and double trouble. Seriously. She was the feisty brunette and I was the blonde {my fingers are fighting to type ditzy but I really wasn't. Really!}. We were on our way out of the education system, sorta, and enjoying our last semester.

We were both single and got an invite to join some friends at the local dance hall for a fun night and not thinking about being single. I remember being hesitant because it was a weekday. Possibly a Wednesday or Thursday but with some encouragement from the roomie I decided to go. Her friends from a class had invited us. We were all single and girls. Except that one who brought her boyfriend and his roomie. THAT roomie turned out to be THE ONE.

After arriving and meeting up with everyone the evening began. The girls encouraged me to dance with this one guy that came with his roomie. Funny thing was, I thought they were talking about the other friend not the tall dark and handsome one. I said hmmmm, no thanks because 1) I really wasn't interested and 2) I didn't want to deal with a guy on V-day. "UGH" I thought.

Turns out they were talking to him about dancing with me! Who knows what was really going on between all of them (could someone fill in the gaps?) but somehow we met and started dancing. He was so cute. SO cute! At some point one of the other girls danced with him too and it looked like they were having a really good time. I admit, that made me jealous. For the rest of the night I made sure that didn't happen again!

The night seemed to fly by. We all had a great time but before long the roomie and I had to get home. We were still responsible students and needed rest for the day ahead. I lingered in the group making sure the Dr. knew I was leaving. How awkward was I?! But he finally got the hint. Very clearly, I remember him catching me by the arm as I walked away and while looking at the ground he asked for my number.

I've got butterflies and a huge grin now. Man, he's still got it.


So to St. Valentine's I say, no I will not celebrate your cheesy-hallmark-over-priced-flowers holiday but I will celebrate the anniversary of meeting my beloved.  This love story had to begin somewhere.

Oh and they lived happily every after.

-The Momma

 

Comments