At the Round Table

Mornings and I have a touch and go relationship. You should know this by now.

I've said this many, multiple, several times. The whole getting up before the sun rises is beyond natural. Attempting to function is a struggle but somehow I {still} surprise myself by doing it. I've tasked myself with preparing The Dr.'s breakfast for him every morning and preparing his bag for lunch. Sometimes breakfast is only cereal and others times it's bacon and eggs. We sit at our round kitchen table and take in the morning together.

It is during these morning times together we have had the best conversations. Between groggily waking and putting my contacts in and that first sip of warm caffeinated goodness, the wheels in my mind start turning {The Dr.'s start spinning at 5:45 - unhuman!}. Maybe it's my mind still working from the crazy dreams I have or it really does want to love mornings but my body is saying "heck no!" ,but topics, conversations, struggles, tears, worries, life just start flowing.

We still have the same amount of baby free time in the evenings but rarely is heavy stuff discussed. It's actually pretty quiet. We zone out after our respective work days. Turn 180 degrees and that's our mornings. Not every morning, but several.

The Dr. sits and eats his breakfast yummies and I sip my coffee with an orange feline fur ball warming my lap and tickling it with soft purrs.

This morning? True confession time - I don't always like being Baptist.

::GASP::

Please, continue reading.

Our family is a hodgepodge of denominations. No specifics but we really do have the whole spectrum. We know Easters, Christmases, weddings, funerals in different churches.

Here we are with our individual faiths, combined into a marriage based on faith and using faith to raise our child and grow a strong Christ-centered family.

Catch that? Faith.

Our faith is our foundation. That Jesus is the Savior, He died on the cross for our sins, and rose again three days later.  Not our denomination, not a church building or church membership. A relationship. Yes, church is vital to faith but I HATE the label it gives you {it's in bold and caps, it's serious peeps}. Just because I sit in that church's pew on Sunday mornings does not give you the right to think I believe this way or that because of what someone else from the same kind of church did to you.

You don't think I know this? I've been given that look with that kind of voice tone when I say which, no, what kind of church I go to. Another reason? I've. Done. That. Too. That look and voice tone. It hurts. It's scaring. It easily overshadows every positive church experience I have ever known.

Why does it really matter? If it would help, let's just meet in a field. No building, no name. If our faith's foundation is the same, we'll play contemporary and traditional worship music {or hymns with or without instruments!}, we ALL will take communion, we all will tithe of our respective financial abilities, we all will listen of what is preached from the Bible. All. Together. As the body of Christ. Why does it even have to be Sunday mornings??

I don't always like church buildings, church services, and church-y people. Why? Because it blinds one of the true reason they are there. Personally, every kind of thought rolls through my head on Sunday mornings. What I'm wearing, what they are wearing, who is or isn't present, what we can afford to give {or not}, the list goes on! Walls go up. Truth and hurt is hidden under fake faces. Everyone says "I'm doing good" and "God is awesome!" Honestly, when was the last time that was the case for you?

I want to grow my faith. I want to further understand how to love others as Christ did. I want to be spiritually fed before going back into a secular world that is fighting against everything I believe in. I want true, real, accountable relationships that force me outside my comfort zone {and church pew}.

Come, sit at this round table with me. I'll pour you a cup of coffee.

-The Momma

Comments