Who has been to our house before? You remember our kitchen?
The lovely linoleum flooring, nasty dirty "oak" cabinets, brass fixtures, and peeling white laminate counter tops.
Lovely.
Basically, if you didn't see it in person you weren't missing much. It was rough.
After watching countless HGTV shows with less than capable people completing their own kitchen makeovers, we set to it. I pinterest LOTS of ideas and we agreed on several of them.
Counters would be butcher block.
Cabinets would be rustic antique aka varnish.
Island would be dark to contrast the light cabinets.
Backsplash would be added.
Light fixtures changed.
Flooring replaced.
Walls painted.
Sounds so much easier just listed out like that.
Don't think there was a surface untouched. About nine months later, finally done! Hubby did most of the work and some of the projects were multi-step. Like the cabinets {sand, prime, paint, varnish, and clear coat}. I completed the painting. I also searched and searched for the light fixtures; I was determined to find something rustic to re-purpose!
I'm actually surprised it didn't take us longer. With a toddler in the house and sometimes only being able to work after he went to bed. At times we went days without getting work done. I was a babysitter for a lot of Saturdays as The Dr. worked in the barn on painting and varnishing.
We love the finished product and so glad we pushed through all the work. I never want to go without doors on my cabinets or drawers again. I like flooring under my feet instead of plywood. Having table, chairs, island, fridge piled into the very middle of the room isn't my kind of fun. But now everything is updated and so much prettier and clean!
Enjoy all the befores and afters!

The lovely linoleum flooring, nasty dirty "oak" cabinets, brass fixtures, and peeling white laminate counter tops.
Lovely.
Basically, if you didn't see it in person you weren't missing much. It was rough.
After watching countless HGTV shows with less than capable people completing their own kitchen makeovers, we set to it. I pinterest LOTS of ideas and we agreed on several of them.
Counters would be butcher block.
Cabinets would be rustic antique aka varnish.
Island would be dark to contrast the light cabinets.
Backsplash would be added.
Light fixtures changed.
Flooring replaced.
Walls painted.
Sounds so much easier just listed out like that.
Don't think there was a surface untouched. About nine months later, finally done! Hubby did most of the work and some of the projects were multi-step. Like the cabinets {sand, prime, paint, varnish, and clear coat}. I completed the painting. I also searched and searched for the light fixtures; I was determined to find something rustic to re-purpose!
I'm actually surprised it didn't take us longer. With a toddler in the house and sometimes only being able to work after he went to bed. At times we went days without getting work done. I was a babysitter for a lot of Saturdays as The Dr. worked in the barn on painting and varnishing.
We love the finished product and so glad we pushed through all the work. I never want to go without doors on my cabinets or drawers again. I like flooring under my feet instead of plywood. Having table, chairs, island, fridge piled into the very middle of the room isn't my kind of fun. But now everything is updated and so much prettier and clean!
Enjoy all the befores and afters!
-The Momma










Comments
Post a Comment